Giving back to the community is a good feeling and a great experience. But if you live with developmental disabilities, it can be difficult to find these kinds of opportunities. ARC’s Day Support and Afterschool Services enable special needs adults and students to contribute to society and be part of something meaningful.
Both programs support adults and students with developmental disabilities so they can:
- Become more independent while mastering skills and responsibilities for community living.
- Develop friendships and build self-confidence during training, therapeutic recreation, and social and prevocational activities.
- Make choices and decisions that are based on individual preferences, strengths and needs.
Day Support Services provides enriching experiences -
“My son cannot participate in sports, but he loves the wellness and fitness activities he does at ARC. He even does them at home. I love that he’s not just sitting around.”
Adults with significant and complex developmental disabilities are able to develop positive relationships and participate in a variety of activities with the supervision of our staff.
Adult Day Support is offered every weekday with specialized training focusing on:
- Daily living, socialization, exercise, leisure, recreation, volunteering and prevocational skills.
- Working with staff to reinforce individual strengths in the community or at the center.
- Assistance with personal care needs, such as hygiene, simple food preparation and housekeeping.
Afterschool Services partner with families -
“I love the way ARC works with my daughter’s school. They know her teacher’s educational goals and try to reach them. ‘Wonderful’ is the only word to describe the afterschool staff.”
This is a daily, structured and staff-intensive program for school-aged children (through 21 years) with developmental disabilities who cannot be left unsupervised. In addition to homework assistance, students participate in fun and educational activities at the center and in the community. They enjoy field trips to restaurants, museums, libraries and parks; they golf, swim and bowl; and they volunteer at an animal shelter and a recycling center.
ARC Afterschool Services offers flexible hours to accommodate a variety of family schedules:
- School days until 6:00 p.m.
- Early-release days until 6:00 p.m.
- School holidays and summer break
License and costs
“I have two sons with developmental disabilities, so I really appreciate the help I get from ARC. It gives me time to work with my other child who needs me.”
Adult Day Support and Afterschool Services are licensed by the Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services. Both programs are Medicaid MR Community-Based Waiver providers.
For more information about Day Support and Afterschool Services, please
call (804) 358-1874