Greater Richmond ARC @ Staples Mill
Adult Day Support
Opening: Monday April 30th
Monday - Friday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
8030 Staples Mill Road
Henrico, VA 23228
To learn more or enroll, contact:
Kris Smith, Intake Specialist
804- 665-1283 (Direct Line)
For all media inquires, contact:
Doug Payne, Communications Director
804-665-1250 (Direct Line)
Why is ARC opening a new location at Staples Mill Road?
Our friends at A Grace Place (AGP), a not-for-profit that served those with physical, developmental and age-related disabilities for over 50 years, had to close their doors on March 23.
About 150 individuals and families lost a critical partner in their care. Individuals who participated in AGP’s programs lost a familiar, stable home-away-from-home at its Staples Mill Road location. They had to say goodbye to staff who knew them well and with whom they had developed strong relationships. Suddenly, their caregivers had to balance work and other responsibilities, while looking for a new service provider. That would be a challenge, because many providers are not equipped to handle those with complex needs.
ARC wanted to help, but we were out of space and had a waiting list for Adult Day Support programs at our Saunders Avenue location on Richmond’s Northside and Camp Baker in Chesterfield County.
Helping these individuals and families aligns with our mission, and we’ve been providing day support services for adults with disabilities for many years. Our curriculum is robust, and family surveys demonstrate a high level of confidence and satisfaction.
We’ve worked steadfastly - since March 23 - to open ARC’s doors at Staples Mill Road so individuals with disabilities, many who find change difficult, can return to a familiar, stable environment; so they can be greeted by many of AGP’s former staff, who they know and trust; and so their families can get back to working and living their normal lives.
What programs will be offered at Greater Richmond ARC @ Staples Mill?
ARC will offer two programs:
- Adult Day Support opens on April 30th
- Adult Day Health will open as soon as possible. It is funded differently, and completing regulatory and licensing processes takes longer.
If you are interested in enrolling in either program, contact Kris Smith, ARC’s intake specialist at 804-665-1283 (direct line) or Kris.Smith@richmondarc.org.
What payment sources do ARC’s Day Support programs accept?
- Adult Day Support: Medicaid Waiver, including Building Independence (BI) Waiver, Community Living (CL) Waiver, Family and Individual Supports (FIS) Waiver, and Self-Pay
- Adult Day Health: Commonwealth Coordinated Care (CCC) Plus Waiver (Formerly EDCD Waiver), Self-Pay and others still to be determined
For more information,contact Kris Smith, ARC’s intake specialist at 804-665-1283 (direct line) or Kris.Smith@richmondarc.org.
What activities and supports will be available?
Each person can choose from a wide variety of activities:
- Life skills activities, such as personal hygiene and safety, shopping and cooking, and money management, are offered.
- Social engagement with others is encouraged, often through community activities such as volunteering and cultural and sports-related experiences.
- Projects like art, woodworking and other interest-inspired classes, reinforce skill development such as communication, personal exploration and creativity.
- Health and wellness support includes regular exercise, nutrition counseling and medication management.
My family member is on a waiting list for one of ARC’s Day Support programs. How will this affect us?
- You may choose to enroll your family member at the 8030 Staples Mill Road facility.
- If a spot opens at the Saunders Avenue facility on Richmond’s Northside or at Camp Baker in Chesterfield County, you will be notified by Kris Smith, ARC’s intake specialist at 804-665-1283 (direct line) or Kris.Smith@richmondarc.org.
Did ARC take over A Grace Place (AGP)?
- No, ARC did not take over or merge with AGP.
- Greater Richmond ARC is leasing space at 8030 Staples Mill Road, the former location of AGP. Individuals and families should expect to see some space modifications at the facility.
- Many former employees of AGP were hired by ARC and will work at the Staples Mill location. They are ready to welcome former AGP participants and others.
How will ARC sustain Adult Day Support and Adult Day Health programs at Greater Richmond ARC @ Staples Mill?
- ARC is financially strong.
- After a two-year start up period, we will be able to support the program revenue streams from other ARC programs and charitable gifts that will supplement inadequate government reimbursement rates.
Please join Greater Richmond ARC in thanking these community supporters who have generously pledged their support.
Bon Secours Health System
The Community Foundation and the following funds:
The AWL Fund
Baby Duck Fund
Judith Haskell Brewer Fund
Make A Difference Fund
Anonymous Funds (2)
Davenport & Company LLC
Allen & Louanna Goolsby
Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP
Annabella R. Jenkins Foundation
Janet and Bruce Kay
Mr. and Mrs. R. Wheatley McDowell
The Mary Morton Parsons Foundation
The Pauley Family Foundation
Richmond Memorial Health Foundation
Wallace and Mary Gray Stettinius
United Way of Greater Richmond and Petersburg